Saturday, March 12, 2011

Goonies!!!!


The night before the wedding we were invited to a famous restaurant in Bogota. It was wonderful! Dancing nonstop all around our tables. The food was crazy good that you just could NOT stop eating. All of us were going into the wee hours of the night salsa dancing. My legs and feet were sore, but when you're in a latin country NO ONE will let you sit. So dance I did!

And I had the pleasure to sit next to an amazing, strong, powerful, respected Latina
drumroll please......~ Lupe Ontiveros ~




Now you cannot fault me for placing this picture up. If you know me, I am an extreme GOONIES fan. Watched it growing up, loved it and raising all my kids on it! My kids have watched all the 80's movies ( pertaining to their appropriate age groups)

She was in Goonies, Selena, Desperate Housewives etc She was also a guest at the wedding and spend the week with us. She was amazed that there were over 17 different countries represented in the guest list and most of us were Deaf. This was a huge deal for Colombia. The deaf and/or disabled are treated not so well in a third world country. Their education is lacking and their futures are limited. She got the word out in the city and the newspapers came calling. I think it was nothing sort of a miracle what she accomplished. I wish I had the link to the newspaper article. If I find it I will come back and link it here. It is in Spanish but was powerful. We had an interpreter translate it for us while we were there.

The most important reason why I posted this was she taught me something. We should advocate at every possible moment. Everywhere we go in this world is a chance to make a difference. Awareness and Advocacy is import. Each moment counts. She is correct. That struck a cord in me. It made me realize that I need to something. Even something small will have a impact on someone's life. It makes me ponder how to use this when it comes to CHD awareness. Fun and Advocacy can go together.

Every moment counts. Everywhere we go.

I am blessed to have met her and hope to meet again.

Mia



No comments: