Sunday, July 12, 2009

A New Baby Boy!


A new baby boy!

We welcomed our new baby boy on June 29th at 10:05pm.

He came into this world at 7lbs 13 oz. Full head of hair and the cutest little nose!

He was born with a rare heart defect called Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return
(TAPVR) He had open heart surgery at 14 hours after his birth. He has been recovering in Pediatric Intensive Care Unit ( PICU) since then. His heart surgery is successful. His developed another complication with his lungs. His left diaphragm is paralyzed and causing him to have rapid breathing and there is talk of another surgery to help with this.

As of today he is still in PICU. His heart looks good. His breathing is still fast. He is on oxygen assistance and a feeding tube. I have been pumping breast milk since he was born. I have a freezer full of milk and in need of more freezer space. I will be storing some over at my grandmother's home for a while. They did give him my breast milk at one week of age but there was issues from surgery so they went to a formula with less fat. They plan to return him back to breast milk sometime today or tmw. I honestly do not know when I will be able to breastfeed him naturally.

Yesterday, June 11 I was able to hold him for the first time. I was in awe of how light he was and how beautiful he looked in my arms. My husband came later that evening and got to hold him also. I will post pictures when I can. I am using the laptop at the hospital. I sleep overnight at the hospital and rarely go home.

The past13 days have been amazing. Baby is such a tough little cookie. He has been progressing so well that the doctors are amazed. He is still "critically sick" as they say but is doing well and they are hopeful that his recovery is moving along.

I have 13 days of stories to tell and I hope I will be able to share with you. I am just getting settled into a routine and my train of thoughts are more relaxed. Its been a string of doctors, medical information overload and just running on autopilot. I am blessed to have such a huge support system of family and friends. I cannot begin to thank everyone enough.

I will post more information along the way. Pictures as well.

Today I will get to play with Baby more. and hold him more upright. They tell me it will help his lung muscles and I am all for it!

Bless you and your families!

No comments: